Thursday, January 14, 2010

My wife

Share

As I mentioned before, my wife and I are expecting our first child any day now. Someone at work today asked me if I was nervous about the birth, and about being a dad.

A little.

I tend to be a bit of a worry wart (see: understatement). And I think everyone is a little anxious when they are about to become a parent for the first time. I was super nervous for the first few months of the pregnancy. But today I realized I am far more nervous about the 200 km ride then I am about the birth. And it felt good.

For this, I have to credit my wife. Pregnancy isn't always a picnic for women, and despite little sleep, great discomfort, and an idiosyncratic husband, she has been a rock. Always positive, always supportive, she is a role model for me, and for everyone. Her confidence in me, and her, has carried both of us. She was built to be a great mother, just the same as she is a great wife. And on the third anniversary of our Islamic wedding, and on the eve of tenth anniversary of the first time we met at a Sloan concert at LuLu's in Waterloo, she is clearly the best thing to ever happen to me.

This also accentuates how poorly my training partner Aaron is doing in helping me mentally prepare for the ride. Why do I have a feeling he is going to take off on me about 3km in?

Good thing he isn't my wife.

1 comment: